Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Attempting To Cure The Not At Nationals Blues.

Yes, it's that time of year again. Freshly scrubbed authors from all over the world are leaving their caves with an abundant supply of sparkly new shoes to wend their way across hill and dale to the annual gathering at the Romance Writers Of America conference, which this year is held in Anaheim, California.

Me & my girlies in Dallas 2007
I can still remember my first trip to Nationals back in 2007 when a wide-eyed Irish girl from the back of beyond somewhat nervously made her way to Dallas. I'd met fellow authors and some of the gorgeous M&B editors in London before but the RWA conference is something which needs to be experienced in order to understand why people return to it year after year after year. By the end of that first week I was exhausted, inspired, overflowing with information and had made friends for life, even if I knew I wouldn't see some of them very often. For anyone who hasn't been I can wholeheartedly recommend it!

Having said that, it's not a trip we can all make every year, so here I am at home fighting with a pair of uncooperative characters in a new book and living vicariously through my friends on Twitter via the #RWA12 hastag.  AGAIN. *sigh* Yes, I'm feeling a little blue...

So here's what I thought. Apart from stalking following my friends at Nationals and Re-Tweeting the news, how about those of us left behind keep each other company for the next few days? If you know of any online workshops, can recommend a great blog, have any questions you want to ask about writing or are currently working on a WIP and could do with some company to egg you on, just let me know in the comments or send a Tweet with the #NotAtNationals hashtag and we'll share in the conference spirit! To coincide with the Literacy signing tomorrow night if any authors have signed copies of books they'd like to give away let us know about those too. I'll be digging out a few, so watch this space!

In the meantime I'll kick things off by pointing you in the direction of the fabulous Romance Divas and their Not Going To Conference Conference 2012 (NGTCC). It has workshops galore and all you've got to do is sign in to the message board!

I'll see you tomorrow!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Hmm, okay I have a question, but you've probably covered it before ;-)
I used to think I had a problem with plotting. I would come up with this new, exciting twist on a tried and true plot and I'd try to pants the story or I'd try to outline the story. Both ways, I'd get stuck.. The more I struggle with it, the more I realize, I need to try to put the characters and their motivations first. So, how do you get to know your characters and what they would do? Especially your heroes, I struggle with them a lot! ;-)

Trish Wylie said...

Even if I have covered it before it hasn't been covered since I came back to work, has it? ;)

Particularly APT question for me at the moment Jill. Thinking about the answer might help me dig my way out of the hole in this current WIP. Shall blog about it tomorrow!

Desere said...

The conference sounds so wow! I so wish I could go but maybe someday !

Trish Wylie said...

You SHOULD Desere! You'd love it :) And we could have coffee while we rest our poor aching feet!